- /em"uy'fuyv"/, n. (in Great Britain)the government's security and counterespionage service that works in liaison with Scotland Yard's Special Branch.
* * *MI5 nounSecurity Service• • •Main Entry: ↑MI
* * *MI5 UK [ˌem aɪ ˈfaɪv] USthe British government organization that works secretly to stop other countries getting important military and political information about the UK http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/mi5.htmThesaurus: uk and commonwealth government departments and organizationshyponym
* * *(in the UK) the governmental agency responsible for dealing with internal security and counter-intelligence on British territory. Formed in 1909, the agency was officially named the Security Service in 1964, but the name MI5 remains in popular useOrigin:
* * *the British government organization that deals with national security within Britain. Its official name is ‘the Security Service’.Word Origin:[MI5] from Military Intelligence section 5.Culture:MI5‘s main activities used to involve protecting British military secrets and catching foreign spies. Since the early 1990s, it has been mainly responsible for collecting information about and dealing with terrorism.MI5 was a very secret organization until the early 1990s, when more information about its activities was made known to the public.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
MI5 — [ˌem aı ˈfaıv] n a secret British government organization whose job it is to keep Britain safe from attack by enemies inside the country, such as foreign spies or ↑terrorists ▪ a government agent working for MI5 … Dictionary of contemporary English
MI5 — 1939, from abbreviation of Military Intelligence, followed by the department number … Etymology dictionary
MI5 — (Military Intelligence 5) n. military intelligence unit … English contemporary dictionary
MI5 — ► ABBREVIATION ▪ Military Intelligence section 5, the former name for the UK governmental agency responsible for internal security and counter intelligence on British territory (now officially named the Security Service) … English terms dictionary
MI5 — For other uses, see MI 5 (disambiguation). Not to be confused with the Secret Intelligence Service ( MI6 ). The Security Service MI5 MI5 Logo … Wikipedia
MI5 — Logo des MI5 MI5 (offizieller Name: Security Service) ist der britische Inlandsgeheimdienst. Leiter von MI5 ist seit dem 22. April 2007 Generaldirektor Jonathan Evans. MI5 steht für „Military Intelligence, Section Five“. Sein Auftrag besteht aus… … Deutsch Wikipedia
MI5 — Security Service « MI 5 » redirige ici. Pour la série télévisée, voir MI 5 (série télévisée) … Wikipédia en Français
MI5 — Логотип агентства MI5 (МИ5); официально Служба безопасности (англ. Security Service) государственное ведомство британской контрразведки, осуще … Википедия
MI5(g) — The MI5(g), or the MI5 G section, was a branch of the MI5 that was formed during World War I to address the war time espionage operation by the Indian revolutionary movement in Europe.Harvnb|Popplewell|1995|p=219] The department arose by renaming … Wikipedia
MI5 — /em uy fuyv /, n. (in Great Britain) the government s security and counterespionage service that works in liaison with Scotland Yard s Special Branch. [M(ilitary) I(ntelligence, Section) 5] * * * in full Military Intelligence (Unit 5) British… … Universalium